This is the perfect indulgent pudding that’s easy and quick to put together for entertaining. The pudding can be made in advance and stored in the fridge ready to cook whenever you’re ready. It’s also easy to multiply the recipe if you need to feed a crowd. Who doesn’t love chocolate and pastry?
- 6 Pain au chocolat
- 120ml Milk
- 300ml Double cream
- 3 Eggs
- 75g Caster sugar
- 150g Dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract (optional)
- Slice each of the pain au chocolat into 3 equal pieces and lay them side by side into an ovenproof dish.
- Break all the chocolate into small pieces. Scatter 30g of chocolate in amongst the pain au chocolat, reserving the remaining 120g for the custard.
- Combine the milk and cream in a saucepan and place on a medium heat until the mixture is hot but not boiling.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and caster sugar in a bowl to combine, add the vanilla extract if using.
- Once the cream mixture is hot enough, add the chocolate pieces, stirring until it is all melted and smooth.
- Slowly pour the chocolate mixture into the eggs, whisking continuously until everything is combined and smooth.
- Pour the custard mixture over the pain au chocolat, making sure all the pastry has been soaked with the custard.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180°C or until cooked through and the top lightly crisp.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or cream.